Home » Are grapes bad for dogs
are grapes bad for dogs

Are grapes bad for dogs

You’ll find yourself searching for answers to questions like “are grapes bad for dogs?” when you get a puppy. In short, yes, grapes are bad for dogs and the same is true about raisins also known as dried grapes.  

In fact, grapes are not only bad for dogs, as in mildly inconvenient, but they’re also toxic. 

Read on to see what can happen if your pooch eats grapes and why they shouldn’t. 

Can dogs eat grapes?

No, dogs shouldn’t eat grapes and you should be careful they don’t fall on the floor where your dog can reach them. This is not limited to fresh grapes, however, because raisins and other dried fruit like currants should be avoided. 

Why are grapes bad for dogs?

Different dogs can react differently to eating grapes; some can get sick or worse. Grapes are toxic enough to kill a dog, so the risk is very high and you need to be careful. 

Not all effects are so permanent and your dog can suffer other harmful results that can prove deadly. Kidney damage is one and if caught in time can be treated, but otherwise can be fatal. 

Some dogs can be more sensitive than others to grapes, so don’t take your chances. No amount of grapes is worth the risk. It’s better to keep your dog as far away from them as possible. 

The chemical compound in grapes that is toxic to dogs is unknown. There are numerous theories about it but none are supported. 

Among these theories, there are ones that focus on mould contamination, pesticides or heavy metals. 

Others suggest tartaric acid or high levels of vitamin D could be the cause for the toxicity, but again it’s not confirmed. 

What will happen if my dog eats a grape?

If your dog has eaten grapes and it’s proved toxic, they may experience certain symptoms:

  • Stomach pain
  • Lethargy or weakness
  • Dehydration (panting and/or dry nose)
  • Thirst 
  • Diarrhoea
  • Collapse 

If you saw your dog eat grapes or raisins and you don’t see any symptoms, you should still see a vet. Some dogs may have delayed symptoms and you have better chances if you act quickly. 

You can be lucky and your dog might still be fine, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. 

What should I do if my dog ate a grape?

Of course, the first you should do is try to stop them from eating any amount of grapes. If you can catch the grape before your dog swallows it, you’ll give your dog than much more chances. 

If your dog has swallowed a grape don’t try to make your dog sick to vomit the grape out. Go to the vet as quickly as possible and get the necessary treatment. 

How many grapes are toxic to dogs?

Any number of grapes can be harmful to your dog, even one single grape can be dangerous. There have been cases where dogs have eaten a lot of grapes and turned out fine. 

Important considerations

Be aware that grapes, or rather raisins can be found in other things. Christmas pudding and certain pastries can contain raisins of dried fruit. If you usually share your food with your dog, keep in mind that they can have raisins, so check before. 

Prevent dogs from eating grapes and getting poisoned

You won’t stop eating grapes or raisins once you get a dog so you must take some steps to protect your pet. 

Don’t give your dog grapes as treats for one; make sure the entire house knows this. 

Be mindful to store grapes and raisins high enough that your dog won’t reach them. 

Be very careful when you eat raisins or grapes, and ensure none have fallen where your dog can reach. 

In conclusion – are grapes bad for dogs?

It’s not common knowledge for many that grapes are bad for dogs. It’s important to be prepared if your dog actually eats some, and take the necessary measures. The vet will be your best choice in this case. 

Post navigation

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *